As expected, Jose Aldo admitted that he wants another rematch against Conor McGregor after he met a devastating loss last Saturday during UFC 194. This was Aldo’s first defeat since he won the belt in 2005.
Aldo, who now has a record of 25-2 MMA and 7-1 UFC, has finally been dethroned on his nearly five-year UFC featherweight title reign and an amazing 18-fight victory streak. Conor McGregor, who is now holding a record of 19-2 MMA and 7-0 UFC, managed to finish the much-awaited fight in just 13 seconds into the first round with a perfectly timed punch.
After the fight was stopped, “Scarface” was obviously emotional as he was seen putting a towel over his head to hide his emotions.
It is understandable that Aldo would be humiliated because aside from dealing with a record-breaking stoppage in the entire UFC history, he and McGregor had been engaging in a rather lengthy spat with each other. Although Aldo acknowledged McGregor’s skills in being able to throw a punch that strong, the former champion admitted that he wants to have a rematch in the soonest time possible.
“He threw a straight to my chest, I was expecting it, and when I went to attack him, he hit a good straight. I think this fight here, I think now we have to go to a rematch. I think it doesn’t end there. I think it was very fast there. He hit a good blow and was able to finish the fight,” he said during an interview. The translation of his statements were posted on Twitter.
Although there weren’t much action to analyze since the MMA fight just lasted 13 seconds, Aldo might probably had the punch coming by charging to McGregor too early into the round. He went straight into McGregor’s left hand punch, which had him crashing to the mat and ultimately ended the fight.
The former MMA champ is known to be very dangerous when it comes to attacks and striking, but majority of his victories came from counterattacks. During the interview, Aldo was asked if his decision to go against McGregor again for a rematch was just because of his very emotional state that night, he quickly denied the speculation.
“It didn’t affect me in any way, man; he may have spoken whatever. I never fall for provocations, I stay with a clear head (calm mind) in there, man. I have to get in there and do my job. He was happy tonight, landed a good blow. I think we have to go on to the next now. Now I’m waiting for the rematch there, and if it’s God’s will on the next one, I’ll be much more trained, and I will reclaim what is mine,” Aldo said.
Aldo was the UFC’s longest reigning MMA champ before this devastating loss. Even though he lost his title in the most terrible way possible, Aldo vows to return stronger and get his belt back.
“Thank you guys from Brazil. Thank you a lot for the support (and) the positive energy from everyone. This is part (of it). It’s a sport. We lost the battle today, but if it’s God’s will, we lost the battle, not the war. If it’s God’s will, I’ll come back stronger and conquer (the belt) for you. Thank you very much for all your support. Thank you guys, a big hug. Be with God (may God be with you),” Aldo added.